|Title|| The Witch of Miracles
|Hair Color||Blue (Blue-Violet in the anime)|
|First Appearance||Legend of the Golden Witch|
|Voiced By||Yukari Tamura|
Bernkastel, the Witch of Miracles (奇跡の魔女ベルンカステル) is an extremely powerful witch that has lived a thousand years. It is said that she lives in a world where concepts like fate and possibility can be visualized. She can give birth to all kinds of miracles with her immense power but, in compensation for that, her heart ends up breaking a bit each time she uses them. She serves as the central antagonist of the Chiru arcs as she was the cause of many issues throughout the four arcs.
- Beatrice - friend, ally, enemy
- Lambdadelta - rival, friend, lover
- Ange Ushiromiya - piece
- Erika Furudo - piece
- Battler Ushiromiya - sponsor, enemy
- Featherinne Augustus Aurora - previous master
Bernkastel has long steel-blue hair and emotionless purple eyes. It should also be noted that she has medium sized breasts in the visual novel, whereas they appear to be flat in the anime. She wears a black and white Gothic Lolita dress with a blue ribbon. She has black shoes and white socks. She seems to have a cat tail with a blue ribbon tied on it. Her weapon is a long black scythe, which separates miracles from reality.
She also appreciates the aestheticism in the fate of humans, and sometimes, she interferes. In other words, sometimes she's you; and she's also your only friend. The things she like include wine and spicy food. The things she hates are boredom and people who don't learn.
She can use "magic of miracles" to reset a bad situation, as long as the chance of it becoming favourable is not zero. She has experienced having been played with and imprisoned in a cruel fate in the past by Lambdadelta when she was a human being. Hence, it seems she can't ignore the fate of those in same circumstances. In theory, she is the witch with the strongest power, but that is actually not realistic, like folding a piece of paper a hundred times so that it'll reach the moon. And she folded it a hundred times.
Despite her cute looks and despite how she seems emotionless, she truly has a extremely twisted personality. She is very sadistic and is willing to kill and sacrifice anything or anyone for her own amusement. She is just as, if not even more, playfully cruel as Lambdadelta, who shows a great fondness towards her and outright states that she loves her several times.
- Bernkastel shares many ties with Rika Furude from Higurashi no Naku Koro ni.
- It has been stated in an interview that she is the personality of the 100-year-old witch Rika seperated herself from in Saikoroshi-hen and is the crystallization of only the cruelest parts left over from the 100-year-old witch. It is possible this 100-year-old witch is Frederica.
- Ryukishi07 also stated that he has very detailed scenario about her and the other most powerful witches Lambdadelta and Featherine.
- Bernkastel is fond of spoilers and does not hesitate to tell these to any of the game players, but due to the game's rules, she has no choice but to give small hints only.
- It's revealed in Umineko No Naku Koro Ni Tsubasa that her influence is what lead to Ange's pure hatred for Eva.
- In Dawn of the Golden Witch, as Lambdadelta talks about the horrors of logic errors, she said, as an example, that Bernkastel was a cat used as a piece by an unnamed game master. Lambdadelta explains that Bernkastel, just like the "Infinite Monkey Theorem", had to step on a keyboard for centuries until she typed the word "Miracle", thus correcting the error, and earning the title "The Witch of Miracles".
- It is possible that Bernkastel is named "The Witch of Miracles" because she knows that miracles can't really happen and that everything is a matter of possibilities, since it's already been explained that she can only make a miracle happen if the possibility isn't 0%. She has also been called 'the witch who knows miracles do not occur'.
- It is possible that Bernkastel's design is based or inspired from Patchouli Knowledge , a character from Touhou, a danmaku shooting game.
- w:c:WhenTheyCry:Bernkastel (warning: possible spoilers)