- "Please, don't leave me here! I'll definitely survive! And so will you!! "
- — Lion telling Willard that no matter what he will live on as Beatrice's miracle
Lion Ushiromiya (右代宮 理御 Ushiromiya Riyon ) is the first child of Krauss and Natsuhi and is consequently the older brother of Jessica by one year. He was chosen as the indisputable successor of his grandfather Kinzo as the next head of the Ushiromiya family.
Lion appears as an androgynous person with long blonde hair and gray eyes. Will describes Lion as an effeminate young man or an assertive no-nonsense young woman, furthering the child's ambiguous gender. During the events of Requiem of the Golden Witch, Bernkastel hid Lion's gender by controlling the people around him by referring to him as "Successor-sama". Wearing a collared shirt with a green brooch and pink scarf, a red jacket, short red pants, and gray boots, the Ushiromiya's crest appears on the left collar and left side of Lion's pants. Upon Lion's middle finger is the silver successor's ring. Like Kinzo, he has polydactly.
Lion is a mild and polite person without any clear faults. He believes in equality regardless of gender or rank. Because of this trait in his personality, he dislikes the fact that he is called "Successor-sama" by the rest of the family. He also does not like rude people and tends to pinch their butts regardless of their sex. According to one of Ryukishi's 'in-character' answers on Twitter, Lion thinks that regardless of gender, one should be able to stand in the kitchen.
Because people would often ask questions on the topic of his gender, Lion admits to having a bit of a complex towards these questions. When Will asks what Lion's gender is and Lion presents a retort suggesting the answer to Will's question should be obvious.
In truth, Lion is actually Kinzo's child by his daughter, Beatrice, who in turn was the daughter Kinzo had by his mistress, Beatrice Castiglioni. He is the child whom Natsuhi Ushiromiya could abandon in 1968 and could only exist as himself under the circumstances that Natsuhi accepted the child that Kinzo had given her to raise in order to prove her capabilities as a mother, which only has a 1/2,578,917 chance of happening. Because Lion exists, Beatrice, the Golden Witch doesn't exist, creating an alternate set of events to occur on Rokkenjima in 1986.
He grew up receiving the same love Jessica was given by her parents. For most of his life, he believed that he was the son of Krauss and Natsuhi and the older brother of Jessica. At an early age it was made clear that he was already adored by Kinzo and because of it he was chosen to be the next head. He was unaware of the fact that Krauss' siblings envied him for it, though they did respect him to a certain degree.
During his high school years, he lived up to his parents' expectations as being an excellent student, the Student Council President and even captain of the badminton team. Aside from being viewed by the rest of the family as still being too young (Lion is 19, and will become head of the family after turning 20), Lion is more suited to be the next head than anyone else. Naturally, Lion's many achievements put quite a bit of pressure on Jessica, and they tend to argue as a result.
Requiem of the Golden Witch
Lion is officially recognized as the child of Kinzo's eldest child Krauss and his wife Natsuhi, and the older sibling of their daughter Jessica. Lion is the undisputed heir to the Ushiromiya family, as proven by a silver successor's ring, and is well-liked by all members of the family because of the kind and quiet personality Lion portrays.
Throughout Requiem of the Golden Witch, Lion becomes close with Willard H. Wright while investigating the mysterious circumstances surrounding Beatrice's death. Lion and Will are able to learn the story behind how Kinzo met the original Beatrice and her connection with the Beatrice whom Rosa met, as well as the nature of the individual who created the Golden Witch in the form of Clair Vaux Bernardus .
Later at the Tea Party, Lion along with Ange is forced to witness the truth of the Rokkenjima Massacre. As Lion begs Bernkastel to stop it, Bernkastel shows Lion another world where he was killed in the parlor, ultimately telling him that even by existing, the massacres will still happen and nothing can stop them. Lion is put right into the moment when the youth is shot by Kyrie, but is miraculously rescued by Will.
Lion almost accepts the fate of being killed resulting in a loss of world, but is convinced by Willard to run away and breaks down shortly after leaving the meta-world theater, only to be rescued by a mutilated Will again. Together, they try to escape the fate of Lion's death, but end up being surrounded by demonic cats summoned by Bernkastel. It is implied that Will and Lion are killed in that meta-world.
Twilight of the Golden Witch
It was revealed in Twilight of the Golden Witch, that he and Willard have been revived as pieces by Lambdadelta. He appears with Willard as Lambdadelta's guests during the after-party of Battler's game. At the moment he and Beatrice encountered each other, both knew that they were the same person from different worlds. Unlike the previous arc, he does not play much of a big role. He was one of the people to beg Lambdadelta to help Battler.
- Sayo Yasuda - alternate existence
- Natsuhi Ushiromiya - adoptive mother
- Krauss Ushiromiya - adoptive father, half-brother
- Jessica Ushiromiya - step-sister
- Willard H. Wright - friend, partner
- Kinzo Ushiromiya - father, grandfather, successor of
- Beatrice Ushiromiya - mother, half-sister
- Beatrice Castiglioni - grandmother
Lion is unlike most characters in the series he is a normal person. He does not have any magical abilities and the like. He is an overachiever at school but his weakest subject would be English due to having a native prunounciation of the language and is skilled at badminton and it can be assumed that he is a good teacher as well, being able to teach Willard the sport. He is also skilled at cooking.
- Lion's name is actually pronounced "Lee-on" rather than "Lie-on".
- Possibly. Lion's name might come from "Beatrice Castiglioni, since Lion is her grandchild.
- Willard H. Wright sometimes calls Lion his Watson. Lion even turns it back on him at one point by calling him "Willard Holmes".
- Lion's palatte swap in Ougon Musou Kyoku CROSS is based off the character Saber from Fate/Zero. They also share the same voice actress.
- It was revealed in Ryukishi07's booklet that Lion's birthday is 11/29 with blood type O. Lion likes his friends, family and comrades but dislikes people with no manners.
- ; Translation: “Lion: I like most subjects, but probably the one I like least is English. It seems my pronunciation is too native - my classmates laughed at me, which was a little uncomfortable. I’m also skilled at cooking. Gender equality, after all. I think that regardless of gender, one should be able to stand in the kitchen.”