| Tohya Hachijo
|Name|| Tohya Hachijo
|Age||30 (in 1998)|
|Hair Color|| White
|First Appearance||Twilight of the Golden Witch|
|Voiced By||Daisuke Ono|
- "I am me, Tohya Hachijo. No matter how much Battler Ushiromiya's memories flow into my mind. To me, they're the memories of another person. I couldn't accept Battler Ushiromiya...."
- — Tohya Hachijo to Yukari Kotobuki
Tohya Hachijo (八城 十八 Tohya Hachijo ) is implied to be the real author of forgeries about the Rokkenjima murders, since Banquet of the Golden Witch, which were his way to cope with the memories. Together, with Ikuko Hachijo, they share the alias of "Tohya Hachijo" and "Itouikukuro".
Tohya was found on the road by Ikuko Hachijo after the Rokkenjima incident. He was Battler Ushiromiya once, but after receiving brain damage from being hit by a car or from almost drowning, he suffered from amnesia. The accident made him unable to think of Battler's memories as his own. He began to recover his memories as Battler upon hearing of the Rokkenjima incident from Ikuko, but develops a dissociative personality disorder; he fears that, one day, Battler's personality may seize control of him.
At one point, Tohya attempted suicide. As a result, he is forced to spend the rest of his life in a wheelchair. At the end of the Magic Ending in Twilight of the Golden Witch, it's implied that Battler finally "died" and Tohya could start living without the burden of Battler.
- Ikuko Hachijo - shared pseudonym, companion, friend
- Tohya Hachijo? - representation of
- Battler Ushiromiya - past memories, previous life
Tohya formerly had auburn spiky hair parted to the side, but now sports short white hair. He is over 180cm, well-built and wears a black suit with a white shirt and green tie. After attempting suicide, he now sits on a wheelchair.
Tohya is an amnesiac character. He does not know who he is at first, but eventually developed a sense of identity under Ikuko's care. He later on became interested in the mystery genre. When his past memories return, he became scared that Battler, his former self, would take over him, thus 'killing' him. Because of this, at one point, he tried to commit suicide. This was due to the results of the aftereffects of the damage in his brain, wherein he can't think of those memories as his own. Eventually, he began to acknowledge that he is not Battler Ushiromiya anymore, but an individual known as 'Tohya Hachijo'. But despite this, he felt that since Battler Ushiromiya was inside him, it was his responsibility to meet Ange. He was at the same time afraid that if he met Ange, he would 'die'. Because of this, he refused to meet Ange in 1998, but at the same time, regretted his actions, as he believed that if he had met her earlier, she and the Battler inside him might not have suffer for all those years. He was also apologetic towards this issue as well.
On the day of the Rokken Island Massacre, Tohya, who at the time was still Battler Ushiromiya, escaped through the underground passage. He was told by Eva that an underground passage led to Kuwadorian on the opposite side of the island. However, instead of escaping through the Kuwadorian, he stumbled upon a submarine base. His circumstances on how he ended up there was not explored. But to sum it up, he went into the underground passage, split up with Eva and escaped to the submarine. There, he escaped the explosion and survived. From there, he got away on a motorboat. However, it must have capsized somewhere along the way. Not much else is known from that point, as he suffered from memory loss and his memory around the time he was drowning in the ocean was hazy. Afterwards, he drifted somewhere wandered about half-conscious, and maybe got into a traffic accident. Sometime later he was found by Ikuko Hachijo on the road, who almost ran him over with her car. For a while he forgot he was Battler Ushiromiya.
He was taken in by Ikuko who had him taken care of by a doctor. She introduced herself to him and lived together in her house. For a while, he suspected Ikuko for having him under his amnesiac condition, but concludes that she isn't responsible, as her car had no damage.
- The name of Hachijo Tohya (八城 十八), contains two wordplays:
- An alternate reading for the kanji in the name Hachijo (八城) is "yashiro." Coupled with the honorific "o-" prefix, this becomes "Oyashiro," the more commonly-known name for Hanyuu Furude from Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni.
- The name Tohya (十八) is composed of numerical kanji, numbering 18. Breaking down the name "Oyashiro" into syllables (o-ya-shi-ro), each syllable is one possible reading for the numbers 0, 8, 4, and 6. Adding these numbers together results in a sum of 18.
- He may be connected to Black Battler, as he knew about him in Forgery no.XXX.
- In Ougon Musou Kyoku CROSS, Black Battler's alternate color scheme matches that of his clothes.
- Ryukishi07 actually planned for him and Ikuko to get married but changed the plot due to a female staff not liking the idea.