Twilight of the Golden Witch is the eighth visual novel in the series. Ryukishi07 has officially announced that the eighth is the last, thus concluding the series. It is released at Comiket on December 31, 2010.
Battler and Beatrice have retaken control of the game board and have created a scenario allowing Ange to attend the family conference on Rokkenjima in October 1986. However, Ange realizes the happy scenario that has been created for her sake does not reveal the complete truth and she chooses to do whatever it takes to learn what truly happened on Rokkenjima, even if it means defying Battler, who wishes to spare Ange the grief that will follow if she learns the truth.
Unlike the other seven games, the last game is nonlinear. The major plot is generally the same, but the player has more influence on the game result.
Before the first twilight occurs, you have to choose a piece of cake and solve several multiple choice riddles that give you a coin for a correct answer. Those decisions decide what kind of plot the player will get. After the first twilight occurs, you talk to survivors and get clues written as purple text, stated as Purple Declaration. After that, you are transported into the Meta-World where you can reread the plot of the first twilight, look at a list of Purple Declarations, read the rules, get some hints in the Meta-World shown as Red Truth (in most cases), and choose a culprit.
On a later point, the player (Ange) may decide between two choices, "magic" or "trick", which have a major impact on the endings. The two endings make a huge impact to the epilogue.
The manga version of this arc began serialization in February 2012 drawn by Natsumi Kei.
Unlike the other adaptations, which exactly follows the events in the sound novels, this arc has some changes and more answers:
- In the Halloween party (after Ange and Eva got almond in their cake) as a winner who gets the almond, Ange decides to do hide-and-seek, not a quiz party but, as in the original game, Eva helps Ange to find the others.
- In this hide-and-seek, the relationships of the Ushiromiyas and servants is shown deeply, such as mother-daughter relationships between Rosa and Maria who are hiding in a room full of dolls (and one of the dolls is Rosa's doll in the past and revealed more information about her relationship with her siblings), and the conversation between Beatrice and Natsuhi about 'their past' where Natsuhi accidentally made the servant who was holding baby Beatrice fall to their "deaths", Natsuhi is shown regretting it.
- The fight between Battler and Erika was changed to Erika solving Battler's closed room in Ep 6 and the entire Ep 5 revealing what made the game 'without love'.
- The manga features a completely new mini-story known as Confession of the Golden Witch that details the darker parts of Yasu's feelings and the two years that were omitted from the story they told Willard.
- All around the manga version of Twilight of the Golden Witch ties up all the loose ends and mysteries that weren't fully revealed in the sound novels and Our Confession.
The following characters are introduced in this arc:
- Black Battler (uncredited)
|Umineko no Naku Koro ni Chiru|
|End of the Golden Witch | Dawn of the Golden Witch | Requiem of the Golden Witch | Twilight of the Golden Witch|